New Funding Opportunity! $1500 Scholarships for Undergraduate Research!
Applications Due November 30th. Read below for details!
The Divisions of Undergraduate Education and Student Success with funding from the Koret Foundation will award 50 Undergraduate Research Scholarships of $1,500 plus expenses for students from any discipline.
Become a Koret Scholar! Apply now!
- The applicant must be an enrolled UCSC undergraduate student in good academic standing. Applicants will be required to provide access to educational records for verification purposes.
- The applicant must have a UCSC faculty (or, in some cases, graduate student) mentor for the project. Applicants will be required to submit a letter of support from the mentor.
- Project must be completed prior to the student's graduation.
- Scientific, scholarly, and/or creative merit of the proposed research project.
- Evidence of ability to carry out the proposed research project (as shown by letter of support, transcripts, proposal narrative, and project timeline).
Koret Scholars are expected to work with their mentors in 2- or 5-credit independent studies. Koret Undergraduate Research Scholarships are intended to enable students to participate in a research project outside of their courses in collaboration with faculty and/or graduate students. As such, scholarships will not be awarded for assignments in regular courses but new research projects might be developed out of previous coursework. Projects can be student- or faculty-originated, by means of independent study, over 1 or 2 quarters.
Additional Student Requirements:
- Submit a one-page final report on their project by May 30, 2017.
- Participate in the "Koret Scholars Research Slam" during Student Achievement Week, June 5-9, 2017 (exact date TBD).
Application deadline: November 30, 2016. Applications must be completed by the student participant. Students are encouraged to work with their mentor in submitting their application.
A note to financial aid recipients: If you are a financial aid applicant, this award would be incorporated into your aid offer to meet your budgeted cost of attendance. In most cases it will reduce your loan obligation. Once factored into your aid offer, the award is paid through to your UCSC student account. If you owe the university any fees, the award will apply to those first and any remaining funds will be issued to you via direct deposit or by check, depending upon how you are signed up to receive refunds. If you have questions about how this award would affect your current aid, please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office by visiting 201 Hahn Student Services Building or calling 831-459-2963.
Questions? Contact Sara Sanchez, Coordinator of Undergraduate Honors and Research Opportunities at email@example.com or (831) 459-5386.